What is MetaMask?
MetaMask is a bridge that allows you to visit the distributed web of tomorrow in your browser today.
It allows using Ethereum dApps right in your browser without running a full Ethereum node. It acts as a full cryptocurrency wallet for Ethereum and all Ethereum blockchain-based tokens and includes a secure identity vault, providing a user an interface to manage their identities on different sites and sign blockchain transactions.
You can install the MetaMask add-on in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and the new privacy-oriented Brave browser.
Watch an explanatory video here.
Setup - The Full Guide
- Step 1: Click on the Metamask logo.
- Step 2: Read and agree to the MetaMask terms and Conditions.
- Step 3: Click “Create a new vault”, or “Create new wallet”. ...
- Step 4: Enter a strong password and click “OK”
- Step 5: Metamask will now show you your seed. It is very important that you copy and store those 12 words, without them you can not access your account on another device or restore your wallet in case of having to reinstall Metamask for any reason.
- Step 6: Choose “Main Ethereum Network”
- Step 7: MetaMask will now ask you for the password. Type it in and click “Unlock”
Transactions take forever to get through, what to do?
For each transaction, you are able to choose a custom gas price measured in GWEI (1gwei == 1000000000wei == 0.000000001 ETH). The Ether Gas Station Website is very helpful to see how long your transaction will take to pass with the gwei you chose. You can mainly focus on the right side of the website which says 'Recommended Gas Prices' with a table following, e.g.
For this example: Meaning if you want your transaction to go through very fast, choose 9gwei.
Confusion with Ethereum value: ETH, Gwei, Wei...
Check out this great Online ETH Converter!
How to cancel a (pending) transaction? - The Full Guide
Canceling means generating a 0 ETH transaction to Your Own Address with the purpose of preventing a previous transaction from "going through" / "being mined" / "being included in the blockchain" / "being stuck"
- Go to MyEtherWallet
- Unlock your MetaMask which used to send the original transaction.
- Don't change any fields. These are already filled in for you. If you change something, it will not work as intended, bad things could happen, and you have no one to blame but yourself.
- Click the Send Transaction Button.
- A dialog will appear. Click the "Yes, I'm Sure" button to send.
- A new TX Hash will appear in the green bar across the bottom. Click the link to view it and see if you were successful. If it doesn't show up immediately, stop. Breathe. Count to 20. Then click refresh.